Last year, I had the honour of being a part of the Dare 2 Dream Sandy Loam Produce first ever Community Support Agriculture (CSA) program in Espanola, Ontario. On a weekly basis, CSA members as well as those of you signed up for the Holistic Lacey newsletter received a flyer filled with delicious recipes, tips and nutritional facts. I have decided to share this deliciousness to inspire, educate and encourage everyone to enjoy eating locally and seasonally, and to feel the difference for yourself.
Week 4: Adirondack Red Potatoes
Red, on the inside and out!
Adirondack Red Potatoes are an oblong, slightly flattened tuber with purplish-red skin and pink-red flesh. They are flavourful and moist and can be enjoyed boiled and roasted.
Colourful Potato Salad with Green Beans
– 6 cups potatoes, washed and cut into 1″ chunks, skin-on
– 2 large shallots, diced, or spring onion
– 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
– 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley or dill, roughly chopped – 3 cups green beans or asparagus, trimmed,
washed and cut into 1/2″ pieces
– 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped (about 20) – 3-4 Free range eggs, boiled, sliced
For the dressing: Choose from my favourite simple dressing included last week or for a creamy version, choose my ultimate dairy free creamy cashew Caesar salad dressing.
What in the world is a garlic scape?
I still remember the first time I saw these beautiful wispy spirals that began to grow out from my garlic plants, planted the previous fall. I immediately did some research to learn more and was amazed (and excited!) about what I could do with them in the kitchen. I will also never forget the moment I harvested it and ate it raw…weooo…hello garlic!
Click Here to read more about garlic scapes and how to enjoy them grilled or in hummus + a delicious Arugula Walnut Garlic Scape Pesto recipe!
For your Health….scapes can
- oxygenate blood
- Reduce inflammation
- Boosts immunity; high in antioxidant glutathione
- lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- garlic scapes, like cloves, and other alliums are known for their anti cancer qualities
- rich in sulfur; important for health and strength of hair, nails, skin and important for synthesis of amino acids.