Moroccan Peanut Stew with Chickpeas
2.5 cups chickpeas, dry and pressure cooked or 6 cups canned
2 T coconut oil
2 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
2 onions, white, diced
5 garlic cloves, pulsed in food processor or chopped finely
2 inch piece of ginger, pulsed in food processor (you can pulse it with garlic)
3 tomatoes, blended in food processor to be liquid
2 red pepper, diced
3 carrots, sliced
5 stalks celery, diced on the half moon
4 cups of cut up mixed veggies (zucchini, broccoli, green beans)
4 cups of cubed starchy veggie (potato, sweet potato, butternut squash)
4 cups (packed) of cut up collard leaves or any dark green leaf
1/2 a hot pepper, diced (optional)
2 cups of peanuts (set aside 1 cup for a garnish bowl)
1 cup of raisins or chopped dates
1 head of cilantro, finely chopped for garnish at the end. Fresh mint also works.
2 T chili powder
1 T ground turmeric powder
2 T ground cinnamon
2 T cumin powder
2 T paprika
5 star anise, whole
3 bay leaves
8 cups of fresh, or canned, coconut mylk, broth and/or water (any combination of your choice, depending on what’s available.). See: How to make homemade coconut milk
1 cup of natural smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- For dry chickpeas: soak chickpeas overnight. Rinse out soak water and cook in a pressure cooker with salt and turmeric, for 20 minutes.
- In a big saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil, 1 tsp salt and onions. Sauté and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add ginger, onions, red pepper and celery. Continue to cook and stir until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, along with turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, chili powder, star and anise. Combine well.
- Add the coconut mylk/broth/water to cover the veggies, and the bay leaves.
- Add carrots, starchy veggies, other veggies. [If adding broccoli, wait about 20-minutes before you add them.]
- Stir everything together well. Cover the pot, reduce heat slightly, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and use whisk to to mix it all in really well.
- For the final 15-minutes of cooking, add in chickpeas, 1-cup of peanuts, raisins and leafy greens and up to 1 tsp of salt.
- Garnish your bowl with peanuts and cilantro.
Best enjoyed with Millet, Couscous or Brown/Wild Rice