We ladies know how to do it! 10 inspiring women started off 2015 by setting intention, reflecting, finding quiet time and nourishing our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. From morning meditation, to afternoon veggie juice and evening detox bowl, all the ladies were glowing before heading back home where they could begin to integrate the tools and techniques. I feel so blessed that I was able to offer a New Year’s Detox Retreat in Espanola… it was the perfect way to start the year!
Saturday afternoon I presented a 90 minute holistic workshop on Daily Detox and Digestion. Here is a summary of what we talked about…everything from dandelion tea and eye cleansing, to tongue scraping and food combining…and no topic was off limits!
Lacey’s 10 tips for daily detox
1. Start each day with a glass of warm water and the juice of half a lemon to stimulate the gallbladder, liver and the digestive system..hello regularity! Add a pinch of cayenne if you wanna live on the edge!
2. Drink a minimum of 2 litres of purified water daily to promote detox and hydration. To make the water more alkalzing (and delicious), add fresh herbs like basil and mint as well as fruit like orange slices, lemon or berries.
3. Re-create your morning routine to include cleansing exercises (kriyas) such as oil pulling, tongue scraping, netti pot and eye cleansing.
“Eyes are the most used organs of our body. We perceive our world with our eyes, and they also are the most over-used from being locked into our laptops to our cell phone to TV screens. The eyes then, lack energy and release heat, crying for relief, and cooling. Eye cleansing process cleanses the eyes by removing external dust particle, body heat and secretions of the eyes that come in the way of normal movement of the eye lid helps that irritate the eyes. This process helps in having clear vision, reduces itching, eye strain and burning eyes. It cools the eyes and keeps fresh. Most essentially, it cools the body very powerful, energizing the eyes and improve the vision. It even reduces under eye bags.
4. Practice dry brushing before you take a shower to stimulate the lymphatic system and cleanse the skin (the body’s largest detoxification organ). Once you’re in the shower, alternate between hot and cold water to improve circulation. Always end with cool water.
5. Exercise, sweat and spend time in nature! This will not only help the body detox but also improves overall mood and well being.
6. Incorporate proper digestion techniques like food combining, drinking liquids in between meals, eating when calm, and chewing slowly!
7. Eat local and seasonally to maximize nutrients and choose organic to reduce intake of toxins and chemicals.
8. Eat more raw foods, green foods and juices! These foods are nutrient dense, alkalizing (PH balancing) and contain all the enzymes needed for digestion. Enjoy 1 raw meal per day or work toward 50% raw at each meal.
9. Re-balance your gut health for overall immunity. Take digestive enzymes which include amylase, protease, cellulase and lipase to improve digestion and absorption as well as a probiotic supplement (10 billion minimum). Include fermented foods like kimchi, saurkraut, kefir and kombucha.
10. Meditate! Sit down every single day even if it’s for 5 minutes. Sit tall and comfortable with eyes gently closed; bring your awareness to your breath. Count the breath to help with concentration. As thoughts arise, simply recognize them without labeling or judging and come back to your breath. Cleansing the mental body is key in promoting longevity and reducing stress.
Start slowly and create a new routine. Even if you add one of these each day, it is a step forward toward cleansing your mind and body.